Every country has its unique form of English. In Singapore, we call it Singlish, where our sentences are punctuated with "lah"s and "lor"s and mixed with Bahasa Melayu, Mandarin and Hokkien.
In Mumbai, there's Bombay English, one of which includes the term "paining".
Example of usage:
"I stepped on a piece of glass. Now my foot is paining."
"Her daughter did not get good grades in school. Her heart is paining."
We pointed this out to an Indian friend and he was very surprised that "paining" is not considered a proper term and that the rest of the world says "My foot is in pain". Nonetheless, I can see why "paining" is a term that makes sense. It's happening now, in the present, hence adding the "ing" sounds logical. Yes?
Some other forms of Bombay English:
"Tension"
Example of usage:
"She has a lot of things to worry about. There's a lot of tension in her."
"Tell me"
Example of usage:
You dial a number or enter a shop. The person on the other end will usually say, "Hello. Yar. Tell me."
And the list shall continue as I find more interesting terms/phrases.
No comments:
Post a Comment